Sunday, January 9, 2011

so about this smaller is better thing

I have been totally neglecting this blog, which I realize in large part is because I've been having a lot of trouble feeling the 'smaller is better' love. I mean, in theory I am all in favour of doing more with less, making do, having a smaller ecofootprint and all that. But the reality of a teeny tiny kitchen, one bathroom, a living room full of c@#$ and a bedroom full of s@#$ has been kicking my butt lately. And as a result, I do what I often do in these situations, start getting antsy, dreaming of something better, thinking of buying a bigger house (ha! not with this budget in this city) and thinking of all the things we could do to change the status quo. And frankly doing a lot more thinking than doing...as a result, here we are, almost two months later, and we still have a LOT to do. So I'm relaunching this blog as a way to inspire myself, motivate myself, and ask my readers to help motivate me too. We have decided we want to stay where we are for at least the next two years (breathe in, breathe out). So I am going to do it!! Not just make do, but make it fabulous. Not just do more with less, but do even more, with even less.

So what do we need to do to make this place work?
-deal with the mold problem that seems to keep on making us all sick and may be rotting our basement storage items.
-deal with the FREEZING cold living room...we have recently realized that the charming exposed brick wall is a bit more exposed than we might like, given that it is an EXTERIOR wall.
-deal with our bedroom which is awash in boxes and all the crap we can't find another spot to store.
-resolve the perennial parental dilemma: we have a playroom but the kids don't really play up there but we don't want to turn our living room into a playroom.
-maybe possibly figure out a better place to put overnight guests.
-rearrange our dining room space...we just can't seem to make it work.
-triple our kitchen storage without adding any new furniture.
-quadruple our living room storage without adding any new furniture.
Oh and, get rid of a LOT more stuff!!!

Wish me luck, and welcome to the ride!

No comments: