Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cordaround: not a member of the corduroy family.

So I haven't spoken much about my wonderful wife. I could go on about how she's a marvellous mom, terrific teacher, lovely life partner and give many other alliterative compliments.

Anyway, she is definitely the handy one in this relationship. As discovered during a recent google chat.

When we began prepping our current house for moving, we decided to redo the floors in the basement guest room & in our two girls rooms. Replacing gross (and in one case cat pee covered) carpet with clean new laminate would be a good thing for the value of our house, we blithely agreed--plus laminate was on sale! So she worked very hard last weekend, got all the carpet up & new laminate down, leaving only a few bare inches of wall and a gap between the laminate and the wall. Clearly, what was needed was some wood to replace the ratty old stuff she had torn out. I, being the non handy one in the relationship, was very proud that I knew the correct term for said ratty old wood, and proudly brought it out in a recent google chat. "So," I said, "when are you going to replace the cordaround ?" her chat version of apoplectic giggling alerted me to the fact that something was wrong.

Apparently it is not a close relative of the corduroy family, as I had assumed, but is actually called 'quarter round' to reflect the fact that it is a quarter of an inch thick or something. Sheesh! who knew?

1 comment:

Mommie that Gets It said...

:D That's funny! She is AWESOME! A sweetie too! :)